Skip to main content

So much for my "once a day" rule

I really am trying to get better at this, though.

Managed to get sick on Thursday night, and felt even worse on Friday, so I took the day off work. This ended up being a great idea, since I slept most of Friday away, only getting up to take Cheryl to her walk-to-the-coast event, then coming right back home and going back to sleep.

This morning I ran to Walgreens to grab some Hall's coughdrops and Canada Dry ginger ale (so much for my "no HFCS" plan) because my throat was KILLING me and my stomach was upset enough that I was having trouble even thinking about food. I'm feeling a little better now, so I'm having ramen soup and water for dinner, in the hopes that my sore throat will die down overnight and I'll be able to at least swallow tomorrow.

I think I've got the opportunity to make real headway on my project at work, and while I hate that I've lost a day's productivity, I think I can make it up and make everyone happy with me despite being out sick. There's SO MUCH riding on this project and my boss has said that it's time to be "more arrogant" about my capabilities. He thinks I'm underselling my talents. I think he might be right. Guess we'll see this next week or so.

OK:

Love Life: I don't think I mentioned this anywhere officially, though I posted on my LJ about it -- Cheryl and I got divorced. The worst part of it was telling my parents, but I'm glad we waited until they came out here to visit. They could see that she and I are still friends, and still love each other, but we can't be married any longer. The only bad part about it is that she's managed to move on a LOT faster than I was. Oh, well, them's the breaks. Anyway -- no progress. Moving on...

Current Video Game: Dragon Age: Origins. Completed ME2 and had fun with it, so I've come back to replay DA:O and WOW is there a lot of DLC for this game. Anyway, I've just started up with a Mage this time, so I guess we'll see how it works out.

Currently Watching: Just finished the Ken Burns documentary on Jefferson. It made me intensely aware of how much I hate the Tea Party right now. As I said to a group of people at work, I may be the only Republican on earth right now who thinks my taxes are too LOW.

Current Music: Lots of Decembrists and 80s hair bands. No, I don't know why those two are going together. Blame my brain. And random shuffle.

Current Book: The Essentials of Oracle Database Administration -- the online documentation. And OMLG is it awful - obtuse, boring, dry, obfuscatory, unhelpful, and utterly devoid of entertainment. I'm ACHING for an in-joke or something to make me want to read it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The default state of technology is broken.

Score one for DRM making me a pirate. I had bought a blu-ray player for my new computer so I could watch hi-def movies on my entertainment-center projector. Apparently, despite paying extra for the hardware, I needed software to play the blurays. OK, fine, I said, and the person who helped me build the machine downloaded some software that would play the blurays. Then, tonight, I went to watch my copy of Inception, and it played for 4 minutes, at which point the software stopped working and insisted that the bluray disc wasn't valid, unless I ponied up $60 (59.95, 25% off for the new year!) to "upgrade" to the latest, licensed version of the software. So, not only did I have to pay extra for the hardware, and extra for the media, I now have to pay extra for the software. Pardon my language, but FUCK THAT SHIT. So, now I'm working on finding a less-expensive way to watch the movie (well, actually, the extra content) that I ALREADY BOUGHT. I've also uninstalled th

Occasional Media Consumption: Swordheart, by T. Kingfisher.

I'm not sure how to say what I want to say without saying it wrong. I don't think I have been this excited for a new author's work since I was in the rapid process of discovering and then chewing through the back catalog of C.J. Cherryh, who at that point had just published Foreigner and grabbed me by my whiskers and screamed (metaphorically) "Look! Here is an author whose style of prose and choice of character speaks directly and entirely to you!" Or that moment in my high school years when I stumbled upon Melissa Scott's Trouble and Her Friends and I suddenly knew, with a certainty that has still not yet left me, that I wanted to be a part of the future (and the culture) of technology. And yet that's not fair, because T. Kingfisher, nee Ursula Vernon, is her own writer, her own voice, her own authorial person, and doesn't deserve to be compared to others.   To say that Kingfisher's prose style and choice of genre (which is to say, a

What I did on my Spring Vacation -- Day 3, Tuesday

We arose on Tuesday morning quite early, as we needed to get across town from Hollywood to Anaheim. Note on geography in LA:  I have no mental map of anything that has to do with Southern California.  I only know that every time we got in a car, it took two hours to get where we were going.  That was as true of the 100-mile drive on Monday as it was for the 1 mile drive from the hotel to the nearest In N Out on Thursday.  So no idea what that was about. We had tea and coffee with Damon, waiting for Ryan and his friend Megan to arrive, which they did around 7:30.  From there, we said a teary goodbye to Damon and headed out to Disneyland! A note on Disneyland:  I'd never been before.  This was my first trip and I was not exactly expecting anything special.  However, everyone around me (including Jean, Ryan, and our friend Donna) was very excited, so I was ready to be happy but underwhelmed.  Boy, was I wrong. We reached the parking lot just before 9 AM, and there was plenty