Skip to main content

Occasional Media Consumption: The City in the Middle of the Night, by Charlie Jane Anders

In an introduction to a book once, Neil Gaiman may have written it -- I'm not sure because my google-fu is failing me right now, but that's not the important part -- where the essayist points out that while yes, Moby-Dick is about man's inhumanity and also the relationships that we have with one another and what happens to us in extremis but, most importantly, it is also a book about a whale. The point being made was, of course, that truly excellent books are about something, but they are also about something. And that's the thing I keep coming back to again and again having read Charlie Jane Anders' The City in the Middle of the Night. There is a lot of things that this book is about, but it's also a book about first contact on an alien world. And if it didn't work on that fundamental level, it wouldn't work at all.

I'm not going to spoil anything, because I'm not an asshole, but I will say this: the tone and voice and flow of this novel is completely different from Anders' first novel, All the Birds in the Sky, and yet it is also clearly and exceptionally written by the same author. While Birds skirted the edges of fantastical and satirical, eventually resting on the continuum somewhere near Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency in terms of tone, City is much more grounded in the real. It's clear the author spent a lot of time thinking and researching this world, not because it's all laid out, but indeed because it's almost never laid out for you. This novel is a master-class in the Heinlein-esque property of "The door dilated."

The other thing that I can't get over is how brilliant and messy and human all the characters are. They're generous and selfish and silly and dumb and cowardly and brave... and then there's all the characters who aren't the main character... The tone of the world and the characters and how they move through the world they inhabit remind me of nothing so much as Kameron Hurley's work, especially her Bel Dame Apocrypha series. These are characters that you love, and also want to gently, lovingly bop on the side of the head, possibly with a frying pan.

Some stories are so frenetic that you end your reading panting, like you've just run a marathon. Some stories are languid, letting you take time to stretch out and really dive into the world and the characters. And some stories, like this one, maintain that interval-style pacing, where just when you think you can't go any faster, it stops for a moment to take a breath, let you get your legs, and then immediately takes off again. It's impressive and astounding and I want to read it again.

Like the very best Neal Stephenson works, City is by itself complete. There's no need for a sequel; everyone you know and have met is where they need to be, doing what they need to do, being exactly themselves, as they've showed you since the beginning of the book. But also like the best of Stephenson, City doesn't end with a neat denouement. Instead, it leaves that as an exercise for the reader; it recognizes that sometimes, the story is best served by stopping. It's tricky to get right, but Anders sticks the landing with aplomb.

There is a lot of great SF and Fantasy being written right now; nevermind the "golden age", the authors of today are a crowded field of brilliant works that blow previous generations away with their craft, their insight, and their brilliance. But it would not surprise me if in 10 years City has become a favourite read/reread for not just me, but for many SF fans.

I encourage you to pick it up and see for yourself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I did on my Spring Vacation -- Day 3, Tuesday

We arose on Tuesday morning quite early, as we needed to get across town from Hollywood to Anaheim. Note on geography in LA:  I have no mental map of anything that has to do with Southern California.  I only know that every time we got in a car, it took two hours to get where we were going.  That was as true of the 100-mile drive on Monday as it was for the 1 mile drive from the hotel to the nearest In N Out on Thursday.  So no idea what that was about. We had tea and coffee with Damon, waiting for Ryan and his friend Megan to arrive, which they did around 7:30.  From there, we said a teary goodbye to Damon and headed out to Disneyland! A note on Disneyland:  I'd never been before.  This was my first trip and I was not exactly expecting anything special.  However, everyone around me (including Jean, Ryan, and our friend Donna) was very excited, so I was ready to be happy but underwhelmed.  Boy, was I wrong. We reached the parking lot just before 9 AM, and there was plenty

The default state of technology is broken.

Score one for DRM making me a pirate. I had bought a blu-ray player for my new computer so I could watch hi-def movies on my entertainment-center projector. Apparently, despite paying extra for the hardware, I needed software to play the blurays. OK, fine, I said, and the person who helped me build the machine downloaded some software that would play the blurays. Then, tonight, I went to watch my copy of Inception, and it played for 4 minutes, at which point the software stopped working and insisted that the bluray disc wasn't valid, unless I ponied up $60 (59.95, 25% off for the new year!) to "upgrade" to the latest, licensed version of the software. So, not only did I have to pay extra for the hardware, and extra for the media, I now have to pay extra for the software. Pardon my language, but FUCK THAT SHIT. So, now I'm working on finding a less-expensive way to watch the movie (well, actually, the extra content) that I ALREADY BOUGHT. I've also uninstalled th

Occasional Media Consumption: Swordheart, by T. Kingfisher.

I'm not sure how to say what I want to say without saying it wrong. I don't think I have been this excited for a new author's work since I was in the rapid process of discovering and then chewing through the back catalog of C.J. Cherryh, who at that point had just published Foreigner and grabbed me by my whiskers and screamed (metaphorically) "Look! Here is an author whose style of prose and choice of character speaks directly and entirely to you!" Or that moment in my high school years when I stumbled upon Melissa Scott's Trouble and Her Friends and I suddenly knew, with a certainty that has still not yet left me, that I wanted to be a part of the future (and the culture) of technology. And yet that's not fair, because T. Kingfisher, nee Ursula Vernon, is her own writer, her own voice, her own authorial person, and doesn't deserve to be compared to others.   To say that Kingfisher's prose style and choice of genre (which is to say, a