Skip to main content

Rerun: Great Old Movies (The Black and White Edition)

Because it's a bit scattered about, I'm reposting my "Great Old Movies" essay for a broader* audience, and because I don't talk enough about movies.


Inspired by a comment from a friend, my brain has been rifling through the databases in my consciousness and I keep thinking about those really excellent old black-and-white movies that made me fall in love with movies when I was a kid. Roger Ebert famously quotes his longtime-collaborator/frenimy Gene Siskel about the rule of thumb for judging whether a movie is good: "Is this film more interesting than a documentary of the same actors having lunch?" And since I love documentaries, it's hard for a movie to live up to my standards, but there are some amazing works out there. So here's some of my favourite old movies, in no particular order, so you can take a whack at them and see if you like them.

1) Bad Day at Black Rock. Spencer Tracy as a one-armed man in a small Nevada town. Probably the best modern western film ever made. Directed by John Sturges, who later on went on to make The Old Man and the Sea, The Magnificent Seven, and Ice Station Zebra (among others), here his spare, careful use of the camera as a framing device shows a brilliant eye for images. Black Rock is what Zack Snyder was trying to do with Watchmen.

2) Rear Window. I promise I will limit my number of Hitchcock movies to two, and this is one of them. Anyone who hasn't seen this movie hasn't actually seen a movie. Seriously. And if you can, see it in b&w; the Technicolor print is awful.

3) The Philadelphia Story. Oh, COME ON. When Jimmy Stewart is the THIRD BEST actor in a film, you might as well just buy a damn copy now.

4) Yojimbo. Remade in the US almost immediately as High Plains Drifter starring Clint Eastwood, the original story is well worth watching even with the subtitles. Akira Kurosawa may in fact be the greatest writer/director in history, but he's definitely in the top five, and this is the movie where you see him at his greatest. He also gets two entries in the list of 9 movies, but we'll get to the other one later.

5) It Happened One Night. There's a LOT of Frank Capra movies you should watch, but if you choose to only watch one, watch this one. Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert is right up there with Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell in His Girl Friday. Speaking of which...

6) His Girl Friday. Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell as the prototypical bickering couple. Some of the best dialogue ever written for the screen, a brilliant and funny comedy, and I would just point out that the murder being investigated by the characters involved is the C-plot in the script. This movie was instrumental for my voice as a writer. It doesn't matter what's happening, what matters is how the characters interact and how the words flow. Plot is just stuff going on in the background.

7) Rashomon. The first time I watched this movie, I couldn't have been more than 11 or 12 years old, and at the time it was as much of a kick in the teeth as reading Catcher in the Rye (which I finished probably a week before). It is a beautiful meditation on the power of human frailty and memory, and I can't BELIEVE they remade it into a bad thriller starring Dennis Quaid. This is the second of the two Kirosawa movies in my top nine.

8) North By Northwest. This is the other Hitch movie. Vertigo may be scarier, and Birds may be more disturbing, but NXNW is the most FUN of his thrillers. Plus, Cary Grant. I wanted to be him when I grew up. Then again, who didn't?

9) Guess Who's Coming To Dinner. I thought a lot about this last movie, but when it comes down to it this is the one that keeps coming back to me. Three of the four leads in this movie are giants: Spencer Tracy in his last, probably best romantic lead role. Katherine Hepburn in a defining comedic turn. And Sidney Poitier doing what he always did: bringing grace, poise, and intelligence to the incredibly sticky questions about race in America. This movie is ostensibly a comedy (there's some pretty funny moments with the ice cream), but it is also brutally honest about race and class and relations between the two. So much so that I'm shocked it ever got made, especially in 1967. But movies would not have been so great if not for these.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The default state of technology is broken.

Score one for DRM making me a pirate. I had bought a blu-ray player for my new computer so I could watch hi-def movies on my entertainment-center projector. Apparently, despite paying extra for the hardware, I needed software to play the blurays. OK, fine, I said, and the person who helped me build the machine downloaded some software that would play the blurays. Then, tonight, I went to watch my copy of Inception, and it played for 4 minutes, at which point the software stopped working and insisted that the bluray disc wasn't valid, unless I ponied up $60 (59.95, 25% off for the new year!) to "upgrade" to the latest, licensed version of the software. So, not only did I have to pay extra for the hardware, and extra for the media, I now have to pay extra for the software. Pardon my language, but FUCK THAT SHIT. So, now I'm working on finding a less-expensive way to watch the movie (well, actually, the extra content) that I ALREADY BOUGHT. I've also uninstalled th

Occasional Media Consumption: Swordheart, by T. Kingfisher.

I'm not sure how to say what I want to say without saying it wrong. I don't think I have been this excited for a new author's work since I was in the rapid process of discovering and then chewing through the back catalog of C.J. Cherryh, who at that point had just published Foreigner and grabbed me by my whiskers and screamed (metaphorically) "Look! Here is an author whose style of prose and choice of character speaks directly and entirely to you!" Or that moment in my high school years when I stumbled upon Melissa Scott's Trouble and Her Friends and I suddenly knew, with a certainty that has still not yet left me, that I wanted to be a part of the future (and the culture) of technology. And yet that's not fair, because T. Kingfisher, nee Ursula Vernon, is her own writer, her own voice, her own authorial person, and doesn't deserve to be compared to others.   To say that Kingfisher's prose style and choice of genre (which is to say, a

What I did on my Spring Vacation -- Day 3, Tuesday

We arose on Tuesday morning quite early, as we needed to get across town from Hollywood to Anaheim. Note on geography in LA:  I have no mental map of anything that has to do with Southern California.  I only know that every time we got in a car, it took two hours to get where we were going.  That was as true of the 100-mile drive on Monday as it was for the 1 mile drive from the hotel to the nearest In N Out on Thursday.  So no idea what that was about. We had tea and coffee with Damon, waiting for Ryan and his friend Megan to arrive, which they did around 7:30.  From there, we said a teary goodbye to Damon and headed out to Disneyland! A note on Disneyland:  I'd never been before.  This was my first trip and I was not exactly expecting anything special.  However, everyone around me (including Jean, Ryan, and our friend Donna) was very excited, so I was ready to be happy but underwhelmed.  Boy, was I wrong. We reached the parking lot just before 9 AM, and there was plenty