Skip to main content

#RPGaDay2018 Day 6: How can players make a world seem real?

This is an odd question, I think, because the goal is not, and at my table never has been, to make anything "seem real". Verisimilitude isn't the watchword. What tells a good story? What moves the narrative forward? What helps everyone have a good time? These are much more important to my games than any sort of 'life' or 'reality' or anything of the sort. Making a story seem lived-in is as simple (and as difficult) as making sure everyone has buy-in and everyone is invested. From there, it's a matter of figuring out which direction everyone is rowing in, and trying to steer the boat in that general area.

If you want "real" or "deep" or "lived-in" or whatever, I recommend writing fiction or shooting film (digital or otherwise). What I want from my worlds is "this is a good backdrop for my players and I to tell a story together" and anything that serves that goal is in, and anything that doesn't serve that goal is out.

I'd point out once again that Some People Juggle Geese, and that what works for my table may not work for your table (and vice versa).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Experience of Diversity (and the blindness of privilege)

Last year I made a vow to myself that I would only read books written by authors who were not straight white men. By and large, with two explicit exceptions, I was successful in my goal. And I learned a bunch of things. The first (and most important) thing I learned is that my reading habits were already moderately diverse; I made a list of ten of my favourite authors and nine of them were women, so I didn't really have to give up on anyone that I was particularly invested in. The second thing I learned was that my "historical read" list is actually pretty white/straight/male, though; I often go back and read a book again for comfort's sake, to go over familiar territory and comfortable writing and try and find something new or at least interesting. That means I haven't been doing a bunch of rereading and that led to... The third thing I learned, which is there are a LOT of non-cishetwhitemale writers in SF, both historically and especially currently. Just l...

Organizing And You: Lessons from Labor History

    I made a joke on Twitter a while ago: Do I need to post the Thomas M Comeau Organizing Principles again? https://t.co/QQIrJ9Sd3i — Jerome Comeau says Defund The Police (@Heronymus) July 15, 2021 and it recently came back up because a member of my family got their first union job and was like "every job should be offering these sorts of benefits" and so I went ahead and wrote down what I remember of what my dad told me. My father had many jobs, but his profession was basically a labor union organizer, and he talked a lot about the bedrock foundation items needed to be serious about organizing collective action. Here's what I remember.    The Thomas M. Comeau Principles of Organizing -- a fundamental list for finding and building worker solidarity from 50 years of Union Involvement. This list is not ranked; all of the principles stated herein are coequal in their importance. Numbering is a rhetorical choice, not a valuation. 1) Be good at your job. Even in...

#RPGaDay 2017 -- Day 26

Which RPG provides the most useful resources? I'm not sure there are any better general-case resources that are RPG-specific (as opposed to history books or the like) than GURPS books. GURPS has an entire line of books that are nothing but general-case resources for various backgrounds, settings, histories, and the like. There are some books that are specific to GURPS particularly, but even when ignoring those portions, I'm not sure there are any books that are better written or better sourced than the GURPS back catalog. I mean seriously: look at this .